Random facts and other cool things

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ireland trip: Day7/Dublin

After an uneventful train journey (except for sitting across from Alan Johnson's previously unknown Irish twin!), I was back in Dublin. Since my B&B was so cheap, I had decided to splurge for the last night and stay some place special. So I was off to a hotel called Number 31 which had high reviews for being a great place.

I managed to almost figure out the obscure and unmapped Dublin bus system enough to arrive at Number 31 earlier than expected. I went down the small side street, found the door in the wall covered by ivy and rang the bell. The door automatically led into a small courtyard and then Noel, who may possibly be the world's best hotel host, ushered me into the lounge.

I knew that Number 31 had gotten several design awards but it never dawned on me how beautiful the place would be. The coach house where the lounge is located has shiny white mosaic tiled floors that lead to the sunken leather couch in front of the peat-burning fireplace. Noel sat me down and brought in a tea tray with all the fixings so I could relax a bit before trekking across the garden to the Georgian townhouse where my room was located.

I don't know what I was thinking, perhaps that this place would look like any other hotel I stayed at just more expensive, but as soon as I crossed through the garden and entered the second building I was stunned. The interior had gorgeous chocolate brown carpeting with little posh seating areas (you know those chairs that are impossibly expensive but really fun). Noel carried my luggage up the first flight of stairs with the white bannisters and opened my door to #20.

Oh. My. Gosh.

First thing I noticed was that I had my own living room...as in a whole separate room with a couch, chair and ottoman as well as a large window made from stained glass. The ceilings were high, 10 or 12 feet, and there was elaborate gold cornicing that wrapped around the room.


Everything was so beautiful and comfortable that I forgot my original plan to leave as quickly as possible and lounged around, taking a big belly flop on the soft, cushy bed.

After a brief chat with Noel who like a lovely Irish dad told me where in town "young ladies should not go at night", I headed off to do last minute shopping and sightseeing. Although the Chester Beatty Library was lovely, I still really wanted to go to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. I had taken a great course in university called the "Celtic Tradition" and we had studied the Book of Kells and the monastic tradition surrounding it. I had been told there would be huge lines and lots of shoving, but I was delighted that since it was 3 in the afternoon, almost no one was there! Once I made my way through the exhibit and found myself in the room with just the texts behind glass...I was the only one there! I stood for a good 20 minutes looking at the two folios of the Book of Kells that were open. I can't even describe how intricate it was. In pictures, it looks massive but it's super tiny and scientists and historians still aren't quite sure how the monks were able to create such amazing art with such little resources (no magnifying glasses!)

After the exhibit, you end up in the famous Trinity Library which looks gorgeous but has the most awful smell! Obviously the books it holds are all super old and in the process of being restored but after only 10 minutes I had to leave as it was just too overwhelming. I walked through a bit of the Trinity College grounds and was reminded how much I miss being a college student. So much fun learning and studying and such. *sigh* Time was getting short so I made my way back to Parnnell Street to Chapters Bookstore where I spent another lovely hour scouring the stock for cheap but lovely books. With my bag full of Alexander McCall Smith, I headed to Marks & Spencers for last minute shortbread!

By the time I finished I was able to make it to the Temple Bar area for the early showing of a film at the Irish Film Institute. It was a new, artsy-fartsy film by Mike Leigh called, Another Year and despite it's somewhat depressing ending, it was a great film. Loved the main couple played by Jim Broadbent and Ruth Sheen. Finally..at least one movie where the main couple is happy and stays happy.

After the film, I wandered my way back to my room to check-in online for my flight before heading out for a late dinner. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Aer Lingus website to work properly on my cell phone so I had to rush by into town to get to a internet cafe before they closed at 10PM. With 10 minutes to spare, I checked in to my flight and headed out to find dinner. I once again found myself at Cornucopia but I wasn't hungry enough for their big meal. I "settled" for a delicious homemade carrot and white bean soup while sitting at the counter looking out onto the street. I slowly walked back and after a warm shower snuggled in the super soft sheets and watched some fuzzy BBC before going to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I want to stay at that place! Family reunion in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete