But the big event was Monday!
The day started bright and early as Julie needed an hour to get ready so 5AM wake-up call it was. After double and triple checking my flat, we headed out to the train station and boarded our TGV to Paris. Unlike the two other times I’d taken this train, this time we got in early to Paris! Quickly refilled my Navigo (a rechargeable transit card worth its weight in gold) and off we went to my little flat in the 10th.
The flat looked a bit more shabby than I remember but I don’t know if it’s just because last time here was my first time in Paris...either that or the ceiling in the bathroom really is falling in. Anyway, we made the quick trip to Monoprix to pick up groceries, stopped at the local bakery and enjoyed a late French lunch. Julie tried some new cheeses and I had my crusty baguette with salted butter. Yum!
We soon were off to the 5th to see Notre Dame and also do some wandering. Stopped by Le Reminet to check the prices and they seem good all things considered with the discount I could get online. This may definitely be a possibility for Friday. ;-)
Also stopped at Shakespeare and Company where Julie found me a used Donna Leon mystery. Woohoo! We also went to the Abbey Booktore which may have the record for the bookstore most likely to cause serious injury. Between the swinging shelves, the stacks of books tettering all over and the scary stairs to the basement it’s amazing we got out alive.
Since we were in the 5th, of course I had to search out Maoz, my favorite vegetarian falafel place. Julie got a gyro meets French fries in a pita sandwich and we sat in a small garden overlooking the Seine to eat.
In order to get the best view of Paris as the sun set, we made our way to Montmartre and Sacre-Coeur. It was packed, but the view was lovely. We took a quick stroll through Montmartre, making our way to the only vineyard in Paris.
First day: success!
No comments:
Post a Comment