Random facts and other cool things

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Prague for work

My school is authorized to teach the international baccalaureate curriculum for primary schools called the Primary Years Programme, or for short PYP. Unfortunately, the PYP is a fairly intense curriculum that requires lots of professional development. Fortunately, your school is supposed to send you to these trainings!

So on Thursday afternoon, I dropped my kiddos off in Sarah's room, grabbed my carry-on and backpack and hopped into a taxi with Alke! Due to the strange link between Germany and the Czech Republic, it was actually quicker to take a train to Nuremberg and then a bus all the way to Prague. Flying would require an hour + train ride to Munich plus all the awkward airport stuff on both ends. So we opted for the train/bus route.

After an uneventful trip, we arrived at our hotel, the Crowne Plaza otherwise known as the former Communist headquarters. We didn't realize it the first night, but when someone mentioned it the next day Alke and I went, "Oh...that explains a lot." Because Daniela, who also joined us, wasn't feeling too great, she and Alke shared a room while I was next door. I spent the first night relaxing, unpacking and watching Germany's Next Top Model hosted by Heidi Klum. It's so weird to listen to her speak German because in the back of my mind I think, "Cool, Heidi Klum can speak German! Oh wait...she IS German!"

The next morning we enjoyed a fabulous spread for breakfast (we ate like queens the whole weekend) and started the conference. I love workshops/conferences! They are my favorite. Our course had 41 people in it...people from all around the world teaching at school from all around the world. Example: Patsy who is a Native American from New Mexico was teaching in Helsinki. Dina from South Africa via England was teaching in Lisbon. The list goes on and on...

The workshop leaders were amazing at keeping the pace going while teaching some fairly philosophical topics. As we started our first coffee break, I grabbed a cup of tea, looked up and ran into Alicia!!! Alicia is a teacher I met in London last year at the teaching fair. She was working in Bahrain and was interviewing for and got a job in Kiev. She is also a Christian so we spent the weekend together, went to church at Hillsong and kept in touch for a few months after the fair. She came with her colleague, Anna, who is Ukrainian.

After enjoying a great first day of workshops, lovely coffee breaks and a filling lunch, I headed out on the town with Alicia and Anna. First, we went to the Prague Castle complex. It's actually a huge fortress on the hill with enclosed walls. It was absolutely freezing outside, but the architecture was gorgeous, as was the view from the fortress overlooking the rest of the city.

We made our way toward the river, looking for a path to the Charles Bridge. On the way, Anna the art teacher found a gallery and was looking in the windows. The gallery owner opened up the gallery for us even thought he himself was painting. The paintings in the gallery were awesome, very different, but fun. There was one I really liked, but considering that it was huge and the smallest paintings were about 200 euros, there was no way I could afford it nor take it home. As it just so happened, the gallery owner is Ukrainian so he and Anna chatted away in Russian while we browsed. Alicia and Anna purchased some glass items and I continued to pine over art that would never hang in my living room.
We eventually found the Charles Bridge, partially covered in scaffolding and made our way toward the historic center square.
By the time we got there it was freezing!!!! We hopped into the nearest restaurant and ordered some food. I ordered a salad and when it arrived I thought maybe they had just brought me the whole bowl! But, no, it really was my salad, massive and in a bowl that looked eerily similar to the one we used at home to mix salads before serving. It was fine, but pricey so we headed back to the hotel to do our homework...yes, we got homework.

The next day was a blur of awesome workshoppiness, networking and more fabulous food. I got to Skype my folks and then tried to meet up Alicia and Anna, but it didn't work out so I headed to Dynamo, a restaurant I really wanted to try. As soon as I opened the door and heard the sultry voice of James Blunt, I knew I would love this place(Blunt's entire CD was followed by Jamiroquai...awesome).

I was one of the only people there since it was really early for a Saturday night, but it felt relaxing after a busy two days. I went for the mint infusion tea, the duck roasted in honey and apples and a dessert of chocolate tartuffo. I spent an hour there, eating, savouring and just enjoying myself. The total bill: $17. A steal considering I had duck.
After missing a tram AND a metro car, I had to walk back to the hotel where I experienced my first "icy patch" spill. I deserved it, mostly because not only was I jaywalking, but jaywalking on a restricted sidewalk area. Thankfully, because it was restricted, there was a railing to grab onto before I completely ate it.

Sunday I checked out and stored my luggage, attended the rest of the workshop, got some groceries down the street with a gaggle of new friends from the conference, hopped in a taxi and got back on the bus that would take us home. Alke and I sat in a row together and due to the guys in front of us accidentally crushing Alke's legs when they leaned their chairs back, we started a fascinating discussion that lasted almost the whole 4 hours. Both guys were Russians working for Siemans Health as engineers. They install and repair MRI and CT scanning machines. They were in Germany for training, but were taking advantage of the traveling opportunities (and their visas) to go to Prague. They perked up considerably when Alke mentioned I was American, especially when I said I was from California. "I want to go to California!" said the one in front of me. (Yes, Mom, my first thought was, "I would have liked to see Montana...") Funny enough, we ran into them at the Burger King in the Nuremberg train station as we were both using the free bathrooms there (the train station ones are expensive!).

After dropping Daniela off at Donauworth, Alke and I rode back to Augsburg where Christian picked us up. I got into my apartment at 11:30PM, tired, but having enjoyed my experience. Would I go back to Prague? I don't know. Prague is known for being a place you see as either magical or mundane. I'm leaning towards the latter. But don't let that discourage you. Go to Prague and find out for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. But did the other guy look like Sean Connery! :-) ha, ha.
    Love ya,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete