Random facts and other cool things

Monday, November 23, 2009

Christmasmarkt opening!

Today was the day! Today was the opening of the Augsburg Christmasmarkt. Unfortunately, they were forcasting horrific weather for tonight with an 85% chance of rain.

At school all day we had so much wind that it was ridiculous. I was almost waiting for some of our kindergarteners to fly away or at least for Mary Poppins to land in the playground. (I checked the weather site in Augsburg and we have a weather alert since the wind is now gusting a little over 45 mph. Other areas in Bavaria are getting over 70mph!)

I still decided to brave the weather even though no one else was coming for the opening ceremony. I was glad I did. The rain never came!!!! The wind was still horrible, but no matter. The opening ceremony wasn't terribly spectacular, but Augsburg is Augsburg, not a big flashy place.

They had a stage with a full band and a set of alpenhorn players. The little Christmas angel came out with her lantern (she was freezing, poor thing) and the alpenhorns heralded in the angels, who came out of the Rathaus windows one by one. The three main angels came out and did a few tunes and when they retreated back into the windows, the Christmasmarkt was officially open.

Alpenhorns
Christmas Angel
Super perky angel
Another one
Three main angels
It's open!
And double bass players complain about hauling their instrument...

Oh my gosh, it was insanely crowded!

After wandering through the main market, I headed down to the Children's market and saw some stalls in between. I also decided I needed to get something to eat and the giant 1/2 meter long bratwurst were calling my name. I have never had a true bratwurst in Germany so tonight seemed like good as any to have one (I'll find out tomorrow morning if this was a good food decision at 8:30PM). After eating the humungous bratwurst, I wandered around, scoping out my next culinary splurge during the next few days (candied almonds, crepes, gluhwein...) and when the wind picked up once again, I decided it was time to go home. Can't wait for one more month of Christmasmarkt fun!


1/2 meter long bratwurst
Christmas angels pointing the way home...

4 comments:

  1. How fun! and the Alpenhorns and it wasn't even a Ricola cough drop commercial! Thanks for the music!
    HOW FUN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - cool - makes our "Black Friday" events seem so cheesy by comparison! Amazingly, they include angels and have an actual CHRISTmas theme. Of course, they're selling things, but even so. Are you happier about German wursts now? Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try to post this. Hope you enjoyed the wurst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the biggest brat i have ever seen?!?

    ReplyDelete