Random facts and other cool things

Friday, November 6, 2009

Paris--Last day

So I really hadn't planned on posting anything about my last day, but truth was, I actually did something interesting!

I had to check out by 10AM, but knew I could store my luggage at the train station for a few hours while I went exploring. I decided to head to the Musee Carnavalet which is a free museum dedicated to French history. It was fascinating, but I only made it through 200 years of history because all the plaques were in French! Thankfully, between my Spanish and all the French that ended up in English, I was able to figure out mostly everything. For obvious reasons, this slowed me down and so I found myself at noon on my way to Ile Saint-Louis to see if a restaurant was open that the Paris forum had recommended. Unfortunately, it wasn't open so desperate for a good last meal, I headed down to the 7th. I stopped at Cafe Constant again, but their daily special was in French that I couldn't make out so I decided to walk down Rue Cler. Still, nothing looked good(I really do have a problem with restaurants selling hamburgers...ugh! You're in France people!) so I headed back to Cafe Constant. As I was staring at the menu in the window, a man walked out and almost bumped into me...it was Christian Constant himself! I felt star-struck and tried to look like I was interested in the menu when it was all in French I couldn't read. He just peaked in the window one last time to check on his staff then walked down the street. I thought about following him, but I figured he'd notice and that would be creepy.

I decided to stop in a bakery down the street that had a line out the door. Always a good sign. Also, everyone in line spoke French...always a good sign. I ended up with a gigantic piece of quiche Lorraine and a chocolate eclair for under 5 euros. The problem was where to eat it. I looked up. Oh yeah. I forgot. I was right next to the Eiffel Tower. I found a little park bench and under the shadow of the iconic tower ate my last meal in Paris. I thought it was very poetic. Unfortunately, sometimes poets get left out in the cold...and I was literally out in the cold. So I made the long trek back to the Metro back to the train station where my trip would end.

Thanks everyone for all your emails and prayers. They made a difference!

Now when can I get back to Paris...hmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. How fun to see Christian Constant! You're not as pushy as your mom though... maybe an autograph, photo in front of the restaurant... the ugly American sydnrome. :-)
    Glad you are back safe and sound. Thank you Lord.
    I KNEW you'd start planning your next visit already!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete