Back in September, when I was walking with Eoin along listening to him tell stories about his father, about Ireland and about history in general, I would have never guessed that this past Friday would have happened.
Eoin had a brilliant idea of doing an international storytelling festival at school and inviting his father, Eddie Lenihan, to be the "main act" so to speak while teachers would tell their own cultures stories to rotating groups of students and parents. And so, Folkways was born.
Last Friday, I walked into my room which was no longer my room, but the video installation room. In the middle sat a table with four projectors and four laptops. Three of my bulletin boards were covered with white sheets and a screen stood in front of my desk. Playing simultaneously on all four projectors was a program called "Hands". It was four different videos showing handicrafts around Ireland. It was completely silent.
I knew this day was going to be good.
Unfortunately, Eddie Lenihan couldn't make it at the last minute since Ireland had been swamped by 8 weeks of rain. Thankfully, our storyteller from Australia agreed to do an extra session.
The students grades 1-8 were split into 8 groups and each group had a teacher leader. I was Group 3's leader and I had a great mix of kids. After some opening comments by Cathie, we rotated around 8 different performance areas. Here was the run down:
- Performance 1: Andy--American folk music; Andrew W.--story of Bonnie Prince Charlie
- Performance 2: A man from Bavaria who talked about Oberammergau and played the mandolin
- Performance 3: Eoin--Irish stories from Mikey Griffey, a 92 year-old friend of the family; Dina--Croatian song
- Performance 4: Melissa--Native Nova Scotian tale; Valerie--story of Thanksgiving through Squanto's eyes
- Performance 5: Matt--Maori Creation story; Susan--Aboriginal legend
- Performance 6: Sarah--Cornish Mermaid tale; Alke--Hamburg water carrier
- Performance 7: Hands video installation
- Performance 8: Morgan Schatz-Blackrose--Stone soup for a better world
Here are some of the pictures I took during the day.
Eoin telling stories from Mikey Griffey like the Death Car
Sarah telling about the Mermaid of Zennor
Morgan Schatz-Blackrose telling the story of Stone Soup
Andrew talking about Bonnie Prince Charlie
Dagmar's performance on international table manners
No comments:
Post a Comment