Random facts and other cool things

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Something lost, something gained

Before I flew back to San Diego for the summer, I was reflecting on my year in Germany and I was realizing what I have not done in a year.

In the last year, I had not:
  • Driven a car
  • Eaten a Burrito Bowl or any real Mexican food for that matter
  • Seen an ocean (not a sea)
  • Heard John Coleman talk about the breeeeeeeeze
  • Watched TV for more than 30 minutes (not counting movies with friends)
  • Shopped at Target
  • Enjoyed central AC
  • Talked for hours with Courtney (one hour on Skype every few months just isn't enough!)
  • Hugged my mom...or my dad...or my grandma...or my brother...

However, I had also been thinking back to all the things I had gotten to do in one year and it's amazing.
I had:
  • Eaten a danish in Denmark
  • Lived out a childhood dream of visiting La Sagrada Familia
  • Lived out another dream of cruising down the Grand Canal and living like a local in Venice.
  • Gone on a "ski weekend"...with no skiing of course, but still!
  • Ridden the Paris Metro so often that I have a commuter card
  • Commuted to work via my feet, my bicycle or public transport
  • Set aside part of my monthly budget to cover "cafes with Christine"
  • Celebrated a real English Christmas
So now I look forward to next year, knowing that I will be home for Christmas (cue song) but will also be having some fun adventures such as Christine's birthday weekend in Wuerzburg and a week in Ireland in November and friends who will be visiting in the spring.  Some things were lost (temporarily), but other great friends and memories have been gained and I can't wait to see what happens next!

    2 comments:

    1. And met Claudia in person, Maria only through internet and a guy from Finland :)

      ReplyDelete