Random facts and other cool things

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Staff Outing 2010: Ammersee

One of the lovely things about being part of an organisation that is built on positive relationships is that when we get together, it’s fun, relaxing and at times surprising.

Friday afternoon was our annual staff surprise outing which this year wasn’t much of a surprise but almost better because of that. We all piled in the bus (okay, well, I didn’t. I rode with Gudrun just because it was one of those days where I needed air moving in my face and who wouldn’t want the chance to spend an hour in a car with Gudrun?) and head off toward the Ammersee. 
First up was the 4-5km hike through the woods.

What? Am I in South Dakota?
Gudrun discovered my secret second job
Next, the boat ride to the other side of the lake. We were early,however, so we had a drink and a chat at the lakeside café. I placed myself in the middle of German speakers and went for it, speaking to Agnes our finance department lady extraordinaire. Didn’t do too bad and almost understood everything. I’m still convinced I understand Northern accents better though as Alke always makes sense to me. J

Onto the boat! Of course, I had to be up top so sat next to Christine, Heri and Anita (our new IB Chem teacher), but due to wind and awkward bench placement only really talked to Christine.  What a beautiful day.


Finally, off the boat and hiked up a hill to our biergarten, an old crumbly building in the middle of a meadow. 


I sat with Brian and Rob, two of our new teachers, Katharina (she teachers my kiddos German and is just plain awesome), Agnes and 3 out of 4 lunch ladies(who are hilarious). Our appetizer was thick, hearty bread slathered with goose fat and sprinkled with cumin seeds and fried onions.  It wasn’t too bad. The goose fat just tasted like butter. I had the tomato crème penne and apple strudel which was lovely along with half a glass of Pinot Grigio and a cappuccino. People floated around and got to chat with Herr Wagner about his vacation to Malaysia and Singapore. Alke and I attempted to make Rob feel more confident about the PYP curriculum…hope we didn’t scare him off!

Only made one bathroom trip down to the basement. It was a bit bunker-like and I tried to sneak a peak in their downstairs cinema, but it was a bit too creepy for me.

Next thing I knew, we were back on the bus and this year we had a much more subdued game of Telephone rather than our sing-along. I chatted with Sarah B. and Verena. We missed our exit in one of those comical “Aren’t we supposed to turn there?” as you drive by it, but eventually made it to school and then the Hauptbahnhof.  A short walk through town and I was home.

School with the kids starts Tuesday and I can’t wait!



2 comments:

  1. It sure was! And I am glad I always make sense to you! ;)
    Big hug

    ReplyDelete