So if you were thinking I would be eating bratwurst, sauerkraut and loads of other German specialties, I hate to disappoint you but no. To give you a visual why not, I snapped a picture of the advertisement in my mail for "Drexler Pressack: Nur 0.59! Aktionpreis!

I saw this in person today at the supermarkt and it looks even worse than the picture. Real German meats look nothing like it does in the US. There are either lots of chunks of stuff or it reminds one of overly processed bologna. So I have been eating Italian, Greek and French specialties more than anything else.
Case in point: this was my lunch for today.
Baguette (I'd already eaten quite a bit when the picture was taken), Brie and grapes. Super cheap and super yummy. And nothing had mysterious chunks. School is providing breakfast and lunch all this week, but having been out with Cathie, I know she favors light fare rather than heavy German food.
So don't picture me with a beer in one hand and a wurst in the other. More likely I will be clutching a glass of pineapple juice in one hand and a piece of pizza in the other.
Just keep thinking "Schnitzel"
ReplyDelete:-)
Mystery chunks are what make German food so good thought! You just never know what you're going to get! :)
ReplyDeletePicture of headcheese (don't ask) and dark (includes blood ) headcheese - chunks are fat. Actually taste good. Start with bockwurst -white (veal) no chunks, mild, or knackwurst - red, no chunks. Do you eat hot dogs? These are not so dfferent. LUNCH - where is/are the veggies? Grapes do not count. Brie with layers? That's a new one on me. luvya, Aunt Jane
ReplyDelete