Well, I'm back from my day trip and it's officially been 15 hours swince I first left. Does that really count as a "day" trip?
Anyway, it all started at the crack of dawn as I excitedly got ready my day pack with my lunch (two jam sandwiches and a nutella sandwich and grapes) and headed off toward the train station. I've been to the train station twice so I knew the route and approximately how long it would take to get there. I hurried to my make 6:59 AM train to Munich, bought my day ticket and then noticed the tiny print on the bottom (9:00 Uhr-03:00 Uhr).
Ugh!
My ticket wasn't good for another two hours! I sadly trudged back home (though on a high note I found a much more direct and quicker route!), sat in bed for an hour and then got ready to head back to the train station.
First I was headed to Mittenwald, a little village snuggled in the Alps that is known for it's 400 year history of violin making.
They still run rigorous violin schools in town. The museum was really interesting, but took a bit longer due to a bored German child interrupting my English language movie on the process of making a violin (TWICE!) by hitting random buttons. It's not good if you know a random child's name based on the amount of times his parents have had to yell at him.
Anyway, the town itself is very quaint and mostly made up for tourists and walking tours. If I had had more time and energy, I would have done a quick walking tour to one of the local villages.
I headed back to wait for my train to Munich...and wait...and wait...turns out the train I and several others were waiting for was a Saturday only train so the next one came an hour later. It gave me the chance to just soak in the beauty of the mountains though which was nice.
Finally, I was on my way to Munich! This was one of the highlights of the day. For the first few stops, I was in a train car that had very few windows so it was HOT! I changed cars about two stops in and got a seat next to an open window! As the train barrelled through the fields and mountains I could stick my head out the window and feel the alpine breeze in my face. It was awesome!
What a view!!!
ReplyDelete