Random facts and other cool things

Friday, August 28, 2009

Mittenwald and Munich trip: Part II


So my Munich leg of my trip was kind of an afterthought. I mean, I had to change trains there anyway, might as well see some of the city while I was there.

Because I was too cheap to buy the tour books in Augsburg or even a map, I had somewhat memorized the outline of downtown Munich and figured out where I would go.

Kind of.

So after getting off the train, I just started following masses of people. Eventually they'd go to something interesting and sure enough they did! The big shopping area of town which I think is called Karlsplatz. It is super crowded! I mean, I'm used to super crowded from being in Hong Kong, but there people knew where they were going. There was NO rhyme or reason in this crowd. People were all over the place.


Anyway, I wandered around Munich for a good two hours, taking pictures of things that looked important or interesting and figuring I'd find out what they were later.




My favorite place though was this little rock ampitheater that surrounded a small pond. It was calm and quiet and there was a wonderful breeze sweeping through the trees. I could have stayed there forever!


After almost getting lost, I found my way back to the train station where I splurged and got an ice cream cone. They were all out of chocolate so I went for "armena" or "armanda", I don't remember. I have no idea what it was, but it was great! It was like sweet cream with fruit swirl and jellied fruit pieces inside. Yum!

Unfortunately, my train was delayed (again) so by the time I got home it was 9PM!

Walking through the streets of Augsburg, I realized how thankful I am to be living here. If I had just seen Munich before anything else of Germany, I would have thought it was amazing. But because I had been spoiled by all the beautiful sites of Augsburg with its few crowds and plentiful parks, Munich was somewhat of a let-down. I know I'll probably go back for specialty things, but my original idea that I'd be spending a lot of time in Munich has subsided.

All and all, it was a great trip. I'll be resting my feet this weekend for sure! Although, I did hear that Stuttgart is having a festival next week...:-)

1 comment:

  1. Loved the pictures from Mittenwald...the violin museum was great, Rachel. And you know people who were associated with that school..the Meisels...even though they lived in Klingenthal.

    ReplyDelete